<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 07, 2003

June 25
Hi there everyone. I thought I would post this blog to share my experiences with setting up a 10 gallon salt water aqarium. I purchased a brand new tank for the setup since i only had a tiny 5gal or my huge 33gal, which are both being used for a freshwater tanks. After buying the hardware and getting everything set up for the tank, I took a trip to the LFS and purchased some fine aragonite sand, and a friend of my gave me 2 small pieces of live rock.

talking with my friend who gave me the live rock, he told me that the cycling process will probably take about 1-2 weeks at most. so i waited patiently, seeing what kind of life I got on the rock. the rock was covered in little tiny white brittle stars, probly about 15 of em.

After about a week, there was still no signs of even the beginning of the cycling, so i decided to add a little bit of bio-zyme to the water to help it get started. Also I went to the LFS and picked up a few fish and a piece of new live rock as well. I got a blue damsel, a goby, and a clownfish. The live rock I got was covered in what looks like red and green growth all over it. there are also plant looking things as well, but they only have 1 "leaf" and they are very short baout 1/8" long. After putting everything into my tank, I noticed I had a really cool looking worm in the new piece of live rock. it is approximatly 4-5 inches long, green, and has was looks like legs, but they are more like tiny pipe cleaners, very fine and fuzzy. he is really cool, and after some looking all i could find on it is a picture on a site. and now the picture has been replaced by a fish. If anyone knows what it is, message me.
this is the worm im talking about except mine is blue/grey

Another week and a half has gone by and still no signs of the cycling being started. now this is really weird because almost everyone I have talked to has said within a 2 week period. so I am starting to think this cycle isnt going to happen. so I decide to add a little bit of bio-zyme to help kick start the cycle process. And since it still hadnt started, I thought it might be safe to get a tiny bit of pollups and a piece of torch coral and see how they do. So I went to the LFS and got a small piece of star pollups and the coral and put that into my tank.
My tank in the beginning

At this point in the tank, there is a tiny bit of algea growing on the back panel of glass and bit on my powerhead. so it has finally started. Now my friend says that the light fixture that came with the tank probably wont be enough for the tank, so we decide to custom build a lighting hood.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?